It's Canada Day! It is time to celebrate the Constitution Act of 1867 that united three colonies into the single country that we all know and love as Canada. How are you going to celebrate? There will be parades, carnivals, festivals, maritime shows, fireworks and free concerts - so many opportunities to have fun with friends and family.
Just make sure to take a few precautions before heading out to the festivities so that everyone stays safe on Canada's birthday.
What to Know on Canada Day
Sure, you celebrate Canada Day every year, but a few reminders never hurt. Besides, because activities and locations can change, every year is at least at little different. So, here is what you need to know to have the best and safest Canada Day in 2016.
- Be mindful of road closures. There are always closed roads to watch out for, and the list is fairly extensive this year. No matter where you live or where you're planning to go, you will probably be affected. Check out this page on OttawaCitizen.com for the full and most recent list of road closures in this area. Or, your own local newspaper should have a similar list on their website.
- Consider using public transportation. OC Transpo is offering free service all day on all routes including Para Transpo. There will be extra trips on many offered routes throughout the day and into the night. In fact, most of the local routes will be extended until midnight to help people get home after fireworks events. Check to see if similar services are being offered in your area.
- Take advantage of your bike. With so many roads being closed, it may be much easier to get around to different events on your bicycle. And, for your convenience, there will be numerous supervised bike stations available for locking up.
- Bring a water bottle. There will be plenty of vendors around with beverages for sale, but it is always good to be prepared. You can also save money by bringing your own hydration, and there will be stations where you can refill your bottle when it is empty.
- Dress protectively. Don't forget your sunscreen, sunglasses and hat. Also, if you live in certain areas, it is advisable to bring a poncho, rain jacket or umbrella along this year, as wet weather is expected. If you do live in an area that is expecting rain, make sure that fireworks have not been canceled or moved to different time slots.
- Bring cash. Many food and drink vendors will only accept cash. And while there will be ATMs available, they may run out of money by early evening, as they have in the past. So, if you haven't stocked up on cash yet, get to an ATM early, and remember that banks are closed on Canada Day.
- Drive with extra caution. If you will be out on the roads that aren't closed, make sure to give yourself plenty of time. There will be a lot of people out and about, so you can expect considerable delays. Avoid an accident by being patient with traffic. And, as always, put your cell phone and any other distraction away before getting behind the wheel.
Speaking of driving, if you are in the market for a new or used car, truck, van or SUV, dealerships will be offering some fantastic Canada Day promotions this weekend. You may be able to take advantage of deals and incentives that will save you some serious loonies on your vehicle purchase. Check your local paper and the websites of nearby dealers to find the best sales.
The Best Birthday Present
As the country celebrates its birthday, give yourself the gift of better financial health by taking steps to repair your credit rating. Because even if you have severely damaged credit, you can turn things around and start building the kind of credit you want.
An easy way to do this is by financing your next car purchase. By using an auto loan to pay for your car, you will gain an opportunity to gradually improve your credit with every timely payment. And getting approved for an auto loan can be easier than you think with the help of Canada Auto Loan.
We can match you with a dealership right in your area that is connected to the kinds of lenders that are qualified to work with unique credit situations. Our service is free and our process is fast, so go ahead and fill out our simple and secure online application to get started today.